Thursday, September 17, 2015

2015-09-16 A Lazy Day - or NOT

2015-09-16 A Lazy Day - or NOT


I got to Dog River around 7:45 and was surprised to find that I was one of the first to arrive.  Jim didn't arrive until around 8:30 which is very late for him.

Even breakfast was late, with a second group (Gerry, Kent, and Eddy) arriving after the first contingent had finished.

Temira's forecast was for light to no wind all day, but possibly as squall late in the day which could be sailable.   Great - what to do.  Sit all day at the Hatchery and wait????

I decided to try out the local RC Flying field.  I flew my micro Icon, my small Blade Nano Helicopter, and my Solo Drone.  I had lots of fun for two or three hours.
Barrett Park RC Field
A nice view off the end of the runway!
Left to right - My Solo Drone, my Icon Seaplane and my Nano Blade Helicopter.

A rare photo of Ted - from my Drone

The Barrett Park Field
Most of the guy's went golfing to the Hood River Golf course.

Al sent me this picture of Handre's carefully calibrated approach shot to the ninth green. He also said that on the eight hole Handre made an accurate shot with his iron, hit a tree and the ball ended up two yards behind him. Takes talent to makes these shots.

Handre's perfect lie.



Lunch after a Classic Golfing experience.

I stopped at the Kickstand Coffee and Kitchen for lunch.  It was very good, but a bit on the expensive side.  Their asparagus fries were very good!

After lunch, I ran into Blaine and Brad who wanted to go for an "Easy Bike Ride".  They talked Al, Harold and I into going along.  We decided to head to Moiser for Ice Cream.  The ride is very beautiful along the old historic highway, but like everything else in Hood River there are lots of hills. When we got to Moiser, Brad said he was going to go just a little further.  I decided to head back, and ended up with a great ride of 26km - taking almost two hours.  Certainly enough for me until I get in better shape.
Bikers - Brad, Ted, Harold and Al.  Thanks Blaine for taking the photo.


The view from the top of the trail!
Rowena Hill - Climb up to the lookout!
Kent said that of the whole group, he was the only person to do it.

The Vertical on my ride!
Blaine, Brad, Al, and Harold carried on to Rowena, which almost doubles the length of the ride (and the elevation climb).  On the way, they ran into Kent, who was doing an 75km loop.  Kent turned around and followed them to Rowena and back - so road about 85k.   What an animal!


Jim and Handre had another tennis match.  We understand that Handre taught Jim a lesson - and took over the crown.

With the sky clouding over, and a chance that the squall that Temira was talking about actually happening, Gerry sat at the hook for a while, and then watched the sail boats head out from the Marina.  If you are going to sit and read, you may as well sit in a nice place!  Unfortunately the water remained calm.

With all the different activities - we went different directions for dinner.  Jim had made a date with Antonio at the Celilo Restaurant.  Al, Harold, Brad, Blaine and I went to the Pelinti Pizza Place.  The Pizza and service was great!

Brad woudn't share any of his Pizza
.. although he did pick off some of the garlic cloves...



No comments:

Post a Comment