Thursday, September 10, 2015

2015-09-09 The Trip Down

The Trip Down!

Well Friday, September 4 was my last day at work.....  I mean my last day with the City of Wetaskiwin.  After 36 years working for a municipality, it is time for a break.  I am still trying to get my head around the "Retirement" word - what it really means, and if it will be permanent.

Some very nice words were said, and I was particularly touched by some of the staff (my friends) who went out of their way to wish me well.  It was a strange feeling packing up my office over the last couple of weeks, and then on Friday leaving it completely empty, turning in my keys, my phone, my city email, and signing off my computer for the last time.  I can tell you that my Stomach has been churning.
Laura - the Wicked Witch - melting...

I haven't had much time to think about it though, as Saturday, Louise and I drove to Rosebud to watch the second last performance of the "Wizard of Oz" and watch our daughter Laura perform as the Wicked witch.   They did 90 performances over the summer (I saw six).  Check out Laura's bi-weekly video blog here.  In her Vlog she talks about the play, but also about acting and her life in general.  Some are very funny.  My favorite is about how she overthinks the plot and has developed a theory that it is really the Guard who is the powerful one seeking power......you have to know the story to understand it but it is work a look.  Here is the link...

Sunday, I helped my son install running boards on his new truck (which took more time than anticipated), and then Monday I packed.

I left for the Gorge on Tuesday morning.  I made is as far as Red Deer, before spending some money (Sorry Lou - bought a lens for our camera - I know you will like it.)  The trip was pretty uneventful.   I filled up in Cranbrook, and then drove to Coeur d'Alene Idaho and stayed at the Super 8 right by the freeway.  Wednesday, the forecast wasn't great, so I took my time driving the rest of the way.
Burnt out area on the hillside below Roosevelt.

Burnt tree on the road side...

Even though there wasn't any wind, I thought I would stop at Roosevelt Park for a few minutes.  This was my first real look at the wildfire damage.  Wildfires have been a huge issue in the Gorge this year, with more than 80 homes destroyed.  Roosevelt was luck as the fire was contained, but apparently the town had been evacuated, and from the looks of it the flames must have been licking at the first houses.
Mount Hood and the Maryhill Museum

I arrived at Ross's condo around 2:30.  It didn't look very windy although there were some kiters out  by the bridge and a few windsurfers.  I made a quick stop at Sailworks (No I didn't buy anything), and then headed back across the river to the Hatchery.  I was surprised to find that there were a lot of sailors on the water.  The parking was very tight and I found that my park pass had expired, so I moved on the Swell City, and was lucky enough to get a great parking spot as someone was leaving just as I arrived.
Still $6.00 per person...


Windier than I thought.

I rigged my 5.6 and had a great first session, very comfortable and fully powered.   After 5:00 the wind started to drop so I packed up.  On the way home, I came across Ross who was just walking back to his car near the Bridge.  He had been kiting all day and had a great session - although he was on his 9m kite and said he should have been on his 7.

5.6m Hucker and Nash board!
We headed back to the condo, and after catching up over a beer, we headed down to Mountain Pizza for supper.

Great first day!





No comments:

Post a Comment